Impact acknowledges the importance and strives for functioning, open and democratic institutions, as well as informed and engaged citizens both at national and subnational level. It aims to contribute to a society that is fairer and better in quality, enabled through democratic governance. Thus, Impact researches the untapped avenues of democratic governance, advocates and designs policy solutions, which focus on:
• New tools of democracy;
• Government transparency, accountability and responsiveness;
• Citizen participation in policy- and decision-making processes;
• Enhanced administrative and democratic capacities of governments.
At a time of ever-rising social inequality in Macedonia and the world, which affects not only equality of opportunity and social mobility, but also social discontent, Impact focuses on the study of inequality as one of its core themes. In particular, Impact seeks to contribute to a more equal and just society by researching and providing policy recommendations in regards to:
• Intersectional inequality;
• Socio-economic inequality;
• The interplay between inequality and civic participation.
One of the main goals of Impact is to provide a platform for sharing knowledges and experiences with the purpose of improving the quality of research in the field of social sciences in Macedonia. To that end, Impact provides trainings that will contribute to the advancement of knowledge and skills in regards to research design and research methods.
• Research design – Identifying research questions and related hypotheses is a key part in defining every research project. Impact offers support for researchers and students who face challenges related to research design development, development of concepts, selection of suitable methods, as well as identification of sources of empirical data;
• Research methods – Every search for scientific answers is accompanied by a choice of a specific way of collecting, systematizing and analyzing data. In the spirit of methodological pluralism, Impact develops trainings for various research methods, including: statistical methods, qualitative comparative analysis, in-depth interviews, focus groups, ethnography, thematic analysis, discourse analysis and others.